Pages

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

oh, me, oh my!

My friend FB messaged me today..."Portland Marathon?" as the title.

My heart skipped a beat.

Yes.Yes.Yes. My heart wants to GO for it! I've known since our final 12 mile training run before the half marathon, that SOMEDAY I totally wanted to do a marathon, maybe even Portland. Maybe even 2011. In fact, in mile 12 of the Girlfriends Half, we were talking about it matter of factly. Definitely seeing it in our future.

But, right as a think that, my heart sinks to my toes. It's a HUGE commitment. All the "what if's" start popping up. What if my achy hip can't handle it? What if it takes me 6 hours?

But, really and truly. I want to. I weirdly feel like I CAN. I've never felt as much "can do" before, since I've started running. It's a big ol' commitment, and not just for me. For my hubby. Long weekend runs. Weekday training. Discipline.

I really REALLY want to, and Portland seems like the perfect place to start. My own backyard practically. I'm excited about the possiblity it holds. We have daydreamed about raising support for a charity through it. Praying about that opportunity, and who might join in the fun.

I can hardly even.believe. the.words.are.coming.out.of.my. mouth. MARATHON. Oh my.

I'm excited to hit the pavement this week with two of my friends, Wednesday with Jill, and Thursday with Heidi. IT'S TIME. Been over a week. I'm so ready!

4 comments:

Stacie said...

I think you should go for it. I LOVE Portland. I have ran it 4 times now. This year was terrible due to the weather and my knee. I've unfortunately ran it twice in the rain. I think it's only rained 2-3 times in 39 years so that was my luck. The first time I ran it in 2006 was perfect weather. Even when the weather is terrible, the support, entertainment, and crowds are amazing. The best one I've ever ran so far.

abbi said...

I know that feeling! If you are leaning towards yes, I say definitely go for it!

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE to cheer you on at the Portland Marathon!!! I KNOW my knees could never make it that far, but I'll sit at that last corner cheering you on to the finish! And I'd love to help with the fundraising, if that's what you're going to do. THAT I can do! :-) See you tomorrow...5:15am!!

Audrey said...

have fun getting out there this week! you could totally do Portland, but i get the commitment thing. i've contemplated it myself, but we'll see...